Setting up in business is one of the most exciting things you’ll ever do. You get to be your own boss, do work you love and you get to name and brand your company. Exciting times 🤩.
In many cases this will be your first experience of creating a brand and setting up a website. There are so many things to think about:
- What name works for you? Your own name? Something playful? Serious?
- What would you like your brand colours to be? Pastels? Brights? Monochrome?
- What type of website would you like? A funky one-pager, a multi-page, corporate style? sleek and stylish?
- Who’s going to write the copy and what will it say?
It’s a lot, especially when you’re new at this. You have no idea what it’s going to take in terms of time/money and energy.
When setting up a new venture there are often 2 patterns of thought:
- I’m setting up this venture because I desperately need to make money and therefore have none to invest in it.
- I’m setting up this new venture and I want to test the water before I properly invest.
These are both really unhelpful thoughts. You’ve probably heard the phrase ‘people buy from people’ as in people like the personal touch. This is true but even more true is that people buy from your brand.
You are human and if you put your front-facing, realistic self out there, this includes not just the super polished version of you who’s doing Facebook and Instagram Lives, it also means that frazzled, had a heck of a day, watching Netflix in your sweats you.
Your brand is the super-polished version of you who shows up on your behalf, even when you’re frazzled, watching Netflix and guzzling wine. It’s sleek, professional and consistent. Thanks to a stunning website and strong Social Media presence, your amazing brand means you can be making sales and generating leads for your business whilst you’re switched off and watching Netflix.
Sound good? Want to know how to make this a reality?
As a website designer who has built close to 50 websites for small businesses please excuse me for shouting this as loud as I possibly can….
📢 Do not create your branding yourself 📢
With so many free tools on the internet or rock-bottom price sites (including rock bottom skills) like Fiverr, it can be really tempting to have a go at creating something yourself. There are a lot of reasons why the best thing you can do for your business is invest in your branding professionally. Here are the main ones: